The Department of Public Instruction's Policy and Budget Team analyzes and monitors key legislation affecting schools, libraries, and the department. The team works closely with the department's Legislative Liaison, Dee Pettack, who can answer legislative questions or concerns. Legislative inquiries should be directed to Dee Pettack via email or phone at (608) 267-1063.
To view education and library related bills introduced in the 2015-2016 session and whether the department has taken a formal position, click here. If a bill has an Act number assigned to it under column E of the attached document, the bill has been passed by both houses and signed into law by the governor.
2015 Assembly Bills
- Assembly Bill 1 - Creating an Academic Review Plan for school improvement
2015 Senate Bills
- Senate Bill 1 - School Accountability
- DPI Testimony for Information
2015 Acts Signed Into Law
Legislative Council Memos Summarizing Acts Signed Into Law
The full text of all acts and any related veto messages can be found on the Legislative Reference Bureau's website.
Legislative Fiscal Bureau 2015 Informational Papers
- State Aid to School Districts (Informational Paper 24)
- Private School Choice Programs (Informational Paper 25)
- Open Enrollment Program (Informational Paper 26)
- Charter Schools (Informational Paper 27)
- Pupil Assessment (Informational Paper 28)
- Statutory Requirements for School Districts (Informational Paper 29)
- School District Reorganization (Informational Paper 30)
- Public Libraries (Informational Paper 35)
- State Property Tax Credits (School Levy, First Dollar, and Lottery and Gaming Credits) (Informational Paper 21)